Octave and LAPACK

From: Samir Sharshar
Subject: Octave and LAPACK
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:25:45 +0100

Hello all,

A few times ago, I've posted about PCA calculations which results differ between MacOSX and Linux Mandrake. I've continued the test with octave and Matlab 7.01. Data and functions were the same for all the trials :-)

1. Octave 2.1.64 and MatLab 7.0.1 give the same results on each machine. On Linux MDK 10.1, octave and matlab give the same results, on MacOSX octave and matlab give the same results. But the results differ from MacOSX and Linux MDK. I guess both octave and matlab use the host operating system LAPACK libraries... 2. Octave 2.1.64 on Linux MDK 10.1 and octave 2.1.57 on Debian woody give slightly different results 3. Octave 2.1.64 on last dev Debian running on opteron processor give a result slightly different of the MacOSX one and different from the others.

I've attached a jpeg file that I hope more explicit...

Obviously, there is a processor influence on the results... Debian woody and linux mdk run on GenuineIntel P4. Debian dev and Mac OSX on 64 bits processors...

I've found on the Net a very few messages related the problem...

Any comments ?

Regards,

Samir.

JPEG image