accessing the calling environment from within a function

From: Paul Laub
Subject: accessing the calling environment from within a function
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:16:43 -0800

Dear all,

How can I create a function able to access any or all of the
variables in the namespace (or scope) of the calling
environment. I'd like to do this without passing all
of the variables via the arg list and without explicitly
marking all variables as global.

One workaround, I suppose, is to use a script rather
than a function. But is there any way to invoke a
script in a function-like way, that is, with an
argument list? The best I can do is have the script
interactively request names of arguments using input().
However, I'd like to avoid such interactivity.

Currently I am using Octave 2.1.57 without the forge
extensions.

Sincerely,

Paul Laub