Re: synchronization of octave with gnuplot?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: synchronization of octave with gnuplot?
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:24:51 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Thorsten Meyer wrote:

It is possible to put an 'if' statement in your script to have it either "sleep(1)" or execute the awk code depending on the existence of a file or the existence of an ending element in a file tail.

You are right. I could have octave wait for the existence of the file. But as soon as it exists, I would have to keep parsing it in a loop in order to see if it is complete.

But can't you then use my second suggestion and look at the file tail for a string? For example, maybe this command...

tail -1 file.eps

...always returns this string...

%%EOF

...when the gnuplot process has completed. The details of how this would be done depend on your shell.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor