Re: Memory exhaustion

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Memory exhaustion
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:01:19 -0800

Steve,

<<running octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe on Windows XP>>

I was running a program that required the variable to be
around 7 MB which always caused octave to bomb.

Richard jumped in on the last discussion with great help
resulting in my writing a small batch program which I run
using command prompt at every boot up.  The batch program I
placed in "My Documents" section since that's where I was
working.

A major portion of the problem was caused by the lack of
sufficient RAM.  My version of octave appeared to get
easily discombobulated by all that memory swapping.

I had 128 MB RAM which caused the HD to constantly access
during the running of the program.  After adding RAM to
512MB *and* running my small batch program the constant
accessing stopped, and better yet my program would run to
completion.  But I still close and open octave for each
application.

In order to keep the space open I used clear, but I don't
know what gets left in octave, even clear didn't solve it.
 Just easier to close octave and open octave each time I
ran the program.  Still you have to watch out.  If you
notice your history file doesn't have the previous command,
check to make certain octave shut down.  If not, manually
shut it down, else you'll have multiple octave's running
eating up space.

I run all my programs in the "My Document" section, thus
the last line of the batch program...

 ...expandmemory.bat...

cd\
cd Program Files\GNU*\bin
regtool -i set "/HKCU/Software/GNU
Octave/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb" 1024
regtool -v list "/HKCU/Software/GNU Octave/Cygwin"
cd\
cd Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents

Good luck.  Let us know what happens.

               - Robert -

PS:  Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the US.  For those
outside the US, I hope as you reflect back on THIS year you
have much to be thankful for.