Re: Cholesky and non-definite

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Cholesky and non-definite
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:05:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, E. Joshua Rigler wrote:

I'm getting an error from the cholesky function (chol.oct) about a non-positive definite matrix, even though I check the matrix with isdefinite.m beforehand.

This might not be what you need, but a matrix is positive definite if all eigenvalues are positive real numbers. So, for matrix X, wouldn't...

E=eig(X); isreal(E)*(min(E)>0)

...return 1 if X is positive definite and zero if X is not positive definite?

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor