Re: 5th anniversary of buggy system/popepn/popen2

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: 5th anniversary of buggy system/popepn/popen2
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:31:36 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
Hi again,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 10:32:28AM +0100, David Bateman wrote:

Hi,

Yeah I'd love to get this problem fixed as well. The fact is an easier
way to demonstrate it is with "ls", but doesn't use exactly the same
mechanism as popen. ls uses iprocstrem and popen uses the
octave_iprocstream. The fact that the two functions fail in the same
way, using similar but slightly different functionality lead me to
believe that the problem was in the underlying gnu libraries. It would
be interesting to see what happens under the intel compilers or the
very very latest gnu compilers and see if the problem is solved...

I've read again ;) Thanks for some suggestions. I'll try find more details.

Mirek

PS

Do you know what other (related to that problem) differences then
*iprocstream are between popen and ls?
Why `#undef SIGCHLD' trick doesn't improve ls?

For what it worth: I have never seen any problems with ls, not before (back with
RedHat 9) not now (Fedora Core 3). Mirek's test just keeps on printing dots...
I do have problems with another Mirek's test (with popen/popen2).
When it finishes it gives the following result:

21   1   2   3   4
 1   0   0  21   0
 2   0   0  21   0

Sometimes it just dies half-way through (returns to octave prompt) and does not
give the final "report" output.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.