Re: benchmarking octave?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: benchmarking octave?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:11:18 +0100

According to Michael Creel <address@hidden> (on 11/12/04):
> On Friday 12 November 2004 15:29, John W. Eaton wrote:
> > On 12-Nov-2004, Michael Creel <address@hidden> wrote:
> > | Has anyone been doing any benchmarking of recent development versions of
> > | Octave? I'm seeing some weak evidence of a ~ 10% slowdown between 2.1.57
> > | and 2.1.60. Before looking into it I'd like to know if this is expected
> > | (all the ND stuff might cause it?) or if anyone has already investigated
> > | it.
> >
> > Can you be more specific about what operations are slower?
> >
> > jwe
> >

> At the moment, no. As I say, the evidence is weak. I see a 10 - 15% slowdown
> in repeating some tasks that use many different operations. But this is on a
> desktop computer that has other load, so maybe it's just bad luck - I haven't
> done any testing to control those effects. I would like to know if there is
> any expected effect of the recent changes, though, before engaging in
> testing. Also, I'm running Debian unstable, which has had some recent changes
> in the atlas packages, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've run the sciview benchmarks ocassionally, and haven't seen anything
bizarre.

Cheers
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary