Re: benchmarking octave?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: benchmarking octave?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:56:36 +0000

On Friday 12 November 2004 15:29, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 12-Nov-2004, Michael Creel <address@hidden> wrote:
> | Has anyone been doing any benchmarking of recent development versions of
> | Octave? I'm seeing some weak evidence of a ~ 10% slowdown between 2.1.57
> | and 2.1.60. Before looking into it I'd like to know if this is expected
> | (all the ND stuff might cause it?) or if anyone has already investigated
> | it.
>
> Can you be more specific about what operations are slower?
>
> jwe

At the moment, no. As I say, the evidence is weak. I see a 10 - 15% slowdown
in repeating some tasks that use many different operations. But this is on a
desktop computer that has other load, so maybe it's just bad luck - I haven't
done any testing to control those effects. I would like to know if there is
any expected effect of the recent changes, though, before engaging in
testing. Also, I'm running Debian unstable, which has had some recent changes
in the atlas packages, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Michael