Re: compiling octave 2.1.61 - readline problem

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: compiling octave 2.1.61 - readline problem
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:22:23 -0700

Jiri Pachman wrote:
Hello list,
I have downloaded latest release 2.1.61 and tried to install it.

> ./configure --disable-static -enable-shared
>
> It stops saying that Readline 4.2 or later is needed. I have downloaded
> readline 5.0 and installed it without problems. When running config it
> was  not found. Are there any links I have to manually configure? Or
> something  else to do?

Are you running it on Cray by any chance? -- You did not tell us...

Anyway, you probably have only run-time libraries installed and you need
development libraries and headers as well. On RedHat linux those would be called
redline-devel-4.3-13.i386.rpm or something like that.
If you are indeed on Cray (or some other weird platform) and did install
development libraries, but into some unusual location, then configure
may not find and you need to specify location to configure explicitly...

I am not a programmer at all.

thank you
Jiri Pachman

Sincerely,