Re: Comments on pwelch.m

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Comments on pwelch.m
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:10:46 -0700

Joe Koski wrote:

Agreed, Dmitri, but the term "Hanning window" has been part of the digital
signal analysis jargon for many years. The ancient text books on my shelf
(Oppenheim and Schafer, and Stearns) use the terms "Hanning" and "Hamming".

I believe the term "Hanning" was made by Tukey as a kind of joke or word play.
The book by Blackman and Tukey may have this explanation -- I do not have
it anymore, cannot check. Since many people do not check original works, it
got propagated to other books and papers. The popularity of Oppenheim &
Schafer book  exacerbated the problem.
I have seen "Hann", "Von Hann", and "Hanning" used. "Numerical recipes" uses
"Hann" and I am pretty sure I can find a couple DSP books (besides the Humming's
 one) which use "Hann" as well.
I just think we should use the correct name especially, as Paul K. just pointed
out, the compatibility with M is not an issue anymore. I guess we can keep
hanning.m
(that just calls hann.m) for backward compatibility.

BTW, I do not have strong feelings one way or another, this is all FYI.

--
Sincerely,

Dmitri.