Name collisions

From: Joern Villesen Christensen
Subject: Name collisions
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:48:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

I work at the Technical University of Denmark, and we are investigating
the possibilities of offering Octave as an alternative math tool for our
students. Our system consists of a number of servers running Solaris 9, to
which the students has access through SunRay terminals.

I have downloaded Octave 2.1.57 and compiled it successfully on our
pre-installation server. It starts ok and all seems fine.

When I distributed the installation (with rsync) to our main servers, I
get a number of name collisions when I start Octave. It seems to start ok,
though...

----------------------- Dump begin -------------------------
address@hidden:~$ octave
Name collision between MI MI
Name collision between Mu Mu
Name collision between Mu Mu Mu
Name collision between M0 M0
Name collision between M1 M1
Name collision between M2 M2
Name collision between M3 M3
Name collision between M4 M4
Name collision between M5 M5
Name collision between Mx Mx
Name collision between My My
Name collision between Mz Mz
Name collision between MX MX
Name collision between NH NO
Name collision between NM NH NO
Name collision between NN NH NM NO
Name collision between NP NH NM NN NO
Name collision between NQ NH NM NN NO NP
Name collision between NR NH NM NN NO NP NQ
Name collision between NT NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR
Name collision between NU NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR NT
Name collision between NV NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR NT NU
Name collision between NX NH NM NN NO NP NQ NR NT NU NV
Name collision between NL NL
Name collision between NL NL NL
Name collision between NL NL NL NL
Name collision between NL NL NL NL NL
Name collision between NH NH
Name collision between NH NH NH
Name collision between Nd Nd
Name collision between Xz Xz
Name collision between vi v8
Name collision between v6 v6
Name collision between v7 v7
Name collision between va va
Name collision between vd vd
Name collision between wx wx
Name collision between zl zl
GNU Octave, version 2.1.57 (sparc-sun-solaris2.9).
Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

octave:1>

Any clues to what is causing this error?

Best regards
Jørn Christensen, Denmark