Re: "bombing" with large files

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: "bombing" with large files
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:12:54 -0700

For what it's worth I don't crash using below commands.
Henry
[~] tcsh:11> Octave
GNU Octave, version 2.1.46 (powerpc-apple-darwin6.6).
Octave:1> sig=randn(1,2e6);
Octave:2> whos
*** local user variables:
prot  type                       rows   cols  name
====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
 rwd  matrix                        12000000  sig
Octave:3> sig=[sig,sig,sig];
Octave:4> whos
*** local user variables:
prot  type                       rows   cols  name
====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
 rwd  matrix                        16000000  sig
Octave:5> sig=[sig,sig];
Octave:6> whos
*** local user variables:
prot  type                       rows   cols  name
====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
 rwd  matrix                        112000000  sig

For clarification of the output, I did the following:
*** local user variables:
Octave:8> sig=randn(1,2e6);
Octave:9> whos
prot  type                       rows   cols  name
 rwd  matrix                        12000000  sig
Octave:10> sig=randn(1,2e5);
Octave:11> whos
*** local user variables:
prot  type                       rows   cols  name
 rwd  matrix                        1 200000  sig