"bombing" with large files

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: "bombing" with large files
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:54:59 -0700

When attempting to read a 20MB .wav file; octave starts,
then gives error message of "exhausted memory trying to
return to prompt", then dies, and disappears.

I duplicate the failure by typing the line...
[sig,sf,bits]=wavread("ReallyBigFile.wav");
Program starts, then dies at some point.

The wav file is around 21MB of 24 bit, so the size of sig
should only be (1,7e6)
there should be room for that, right?

using binary Windows
  octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe
running on Windows XP, pentium III
no applications, but Windows Explorer
virtual memory set for 600MB minimum with 1000MB maximum
wavread.m is part of octave distribution

I process the data in serial and could live with "scooping
up" sections for processing, but if I can't even read the
file, I'm out of luck.

Any ideas, or fixes?

               - Robert -