Re: Speed concerns with fft

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Speed concerns with fft
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:12:47 -0600

on 10/8/04 7:15 AM, Sébastien Maerten at address@hidden
wrote:

> Do anybody know how I can get a "faster" result ? Building octave with
> proper math libraries ? Which one ? It seems to me that building octave
> from source on osx is not trivial (I've failed with fink, darwinports
> and manually with versions 2.1.57 , 2.1.59 and 2.1.60), btw, is it
> worth reporting such build failures ?

Whether Mac users are getting the full benefits of Apple's vecLib optimized
fft routines in octave is a good question. I know when I attempted to build
2.1.57 I got warnings about xerbla (apparently the error handler for blas)
being multiply defined, with one of the definitions being in vecLib. That
was before I discovered that Apple's Xcode 1.5 upgrade clobbers attempts to
build octave on a Mac. You must have Xcode 1.2 installed. My guess is that
the Mac make file needs to be modified to take full advantage of vecLib.
Let's hope that gets resolved when the 64-bit Tiger OS X gets released.

Meanwhile, Guarav Khanna has built octave-2.1.57 and octave-forge and will
soon post a relatively simple Mac binary install at
http://hpc.sourceforge.net/. That should solve problems for a while.

Any comments?

Joe