string-beginners question

From: Jiri Pachman
Subject: string-beginners question
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:14:03 +0200

Hi everyone,
I can not find answer concerning string creation using dir/ls command.

I want to create string containing output of dir command. I have file with specific suffix and I want to use it later for loading files of the same name.

Example:
test.inf
test_001.dat
test_002.dat
test_003.dat
test_004.dat

I would like to use the *.inf to create string with the name test.res and than use part of this string to identify other files for loading. I hoped a = ls *.inf could do it but it does not work. I can create this string manually but I believe there has to be a way.

If you could help me out or point me in the direction where I can read something about it I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Jiri Pachman

Ing. Jiri Pachman
Katedra Teorie a Technologie Vybusnin