Re: Migrating to Linux/Octave

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Migrating to Linux/Octave
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:27:07 -0700

Sure, sure. I was afraid a distro flame war might start ;), but so far I see the response has been very appropriate and helpful. Must be this list is mostly mature scientists :). Nonetheless, I still encourage activity in local users' groups.

Regards,
Jonathan

E. Joshua Rigler wrote:
As evidenced in my previous reply to this thread, I might respectfully
disagree with Jonathan's assessment of the appropriateness of this list
for this discussion.  There are any number of hardare/OS-specific issues
that are quite relevant to the performance and maintenance of Octave. I,
for one, am happy to answer relevant questions even before the poster
gets everything set up (it's one of the few times I believe I have
something useful to contribute ;^).

Granted, we don't want the discussion to diverge too much, but I'm sure
the community can keep things in check without killing the inquiry from
the outset.  If the Octave heavy-weights disagree (John E., Paul K.,
etc.), by all means say something.

-EJR