Compiling with shared library support

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Compiling with shared library support
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:11:53 -0400

On  7-Oct-2004, Ben Graham <address@hidden> wrote:

| When I compile octave 2.1.57 with shared library support (by passing
| --enable-shared or
| --enable-dl or both parameters to the configure script beforehand) I get
| errors like:
|
| ../src/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `Fbesselj(octave_value_list
| const &, int)'
| ../src/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `Fgetrusage(octave_value_list
| const &, int)'
| ../src/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `Fsqrtm(octave_value_list
| const &, int)'
|
| And many similar errors - undefined references to functions (octave
| functions with an F in front).

Is this happening at the final link stage?  If you configured with
--enable-shared, then Octave should not be expecting to find these
symbols in liboctinterp.  Instead, they should only be in the
corresponding .oct files, which are loaded dynamically.

I suspect Octave is somehow misconfigured.  Did you have some files
left over from a previous build?  If so, I'd suggest starting with a
fresh copy of the sources.

jwe