Accessing information returned from 'dir'

From: mddejong
Subject: Accessing information returned from 'dir'
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:20:05 +0200 (CEST)

How does one access the information returned from a dir-command? After
issuing

    a=dir("./");

I can do

    a.name

or

    a.bytes

but any attempt to retrieve the information *within* a.name failed.
a.name[1] returns a syntax error, a.name(1) or a.name{1} return 'can't
perform indexing operations for cs-list type', nth(a.name, 1) returns the
help text of nth().

I know I can circumvent the problem by using readdir() and then lstat()ing
the names myself, but I figured there has to be a way to Do What I Want
:-). Can someone please help me out?

Kind regards,
Maarten