Re: What does the exit command do?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: What does the exit command do?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:08:19 -0400

On 22-Sep-2004, Keith Goodman <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm calling Octave with the command 'octave -qH myfunction.m' so it
| should't need to write to .octave-hist on exit.
|
| I get the error with or without the -H option.

The -H option is equivalent to saying

  saving_history = false;

in Octave.  This only tells Octave to stop adding commands to the
history list.  The list is still read at startup and saved when Octave
exits (even if the history list is empty).

It should be possible to decide whether the history list has been
modified and then not save it.  It should also be possible to avoid
trying to write the file if it can't be opened for writing.

Until someone decides that this problem is is worth the effort to fix,
you can run Octave using a command like

  OCTAVE_HISTFILE=/dev/null octave -qH myfunction.m

(Bourne shell syntax).

jwe