Re: static variables

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: static variables
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:28:25 -0400

On 20-Sep-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Looking in octave.gperf, you'll see
|
| persistent, STATIC, static_kw
| static, STATIC, static_kw
|
| so the parser treats them as identical. The fact that it isn't a keyword
| means that you can create a variable "static"

I think you mean "static" is a keyword, so you can't create a variable
or function called "static".

| > Do I have to update those scripts, because 'static'
| > may not be supported anymore in upcoming versions ?
|
| This depends on the wishes of John...

I don't have any plans to remove the "static" keyword as another way
of saying "persistent".  OTOH, I'm not sure that we need both names.
I believe that we have "static" only because it was implemented before
any released version of Matlab had "persistent".

jwe