Re: static variables

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: static variables
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:10:46 +0200

According to address@hidden <address@hidden> (on 09/20/04):
> octave:> computer, VER=version
> i686-pc-cygwin       VER = 2.1.58
>
> 'static' keyword cannot be found in the list of reserved words, which
> is returned by  '$ help'.  Instead, 'persistent' occurs in this list.

Not surprising as its not listed in  help_list keywords[] in help.cc.

> But obviously 'static' variables may still be used, because I'm still
> able to successfully run those older scripts, which rely on them.

Looking in octave.gperf, you'll see

persistent, STATIC, static_kw
static, STATIC, static_kw

so the parser treats them as identical. The fact that it isn't a keyword
means that you can create a variable "static"

> Are 'persistent' variables implemented in the same way as
> 'static' variables are ?

See the above..

> Do I have to update those scripts, because 'static'
> may not be supported anymore in upcoming versions ?

This depends on the wishes of John...

D.

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary