Fwd: Re: Octave advocacy

From: Victor Munoz
Subject: Fwd: Re: Octave advocacy
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:57:47 +0900

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 08:11:31AM +0200, Nathan Weisz wrote:
> I completely agree with Mike and find Rif's comments rather childish.
> Judging from my experience almost any Matlab script/function that does
> not need/produce GUIs or plot too sophisticated graphics will run in
> 99% of the cases without problems (especially if Octave-Forge is
> installed alongside).

I'd like to add to that, indeed. My own experince was that I had to switch
from Matlab to Octave when I changed University and Operating System. I had
a lot of matlab scripts which ran just fine in Octave. The only problem was
that I also used things like ginput and cells in Matlab, and they did not
work. But that forced me to re-write a couple of front-end scripts. The
rest, wonderful. In a few days I was working again.

                                                    Victor