Re: Getting the name of a variable

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: Getting the name of a variable
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:09:41 -0400

  Hi Ploett

in

   function s = tar(varargin)

   s.(deblank(argn(i,:))) = varargin{i};

deblank(argn(i,:)) is a string containing the name of the i'th
argument.

  Hth,

  Etienne

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:39:01PM +0200, Ploett Norbert wrote:
# Hi,
#
# I want to write a function file which will automatically plot a curve and
# the label of the curve. Like this:
#
# % function plotcurve(curve)
# % curve is a nx2 matrix, the first column containing x-values (time stamps),
# % the second column the y-values (values).
# function plotcurve(curve)
#  style = strcat(';', GETNAME(curve), ';');
#  plot(curve(:,1), curve(:,2), style)
# endfunction
#
# Then, when I enter at the command prompt:
#
# > plotcurve(x)
#
# the curve will be plotted and a label 'x ----' is displayed in the graph.
#
# Is there a way to implement GETNAME(), which takes a parameter or variable
# and returns it's name? Any ideas how this could be done?
#
# Thanks,
#
#   Norbert
#
#
#
# Octave is freely available under the terms of the GNU GPL.
#
# Octave's home on the web:  http://www.octave.org
# How to fund new projects:  http://www.octave.org/funding.html
#