Re: std in NDArrays

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: std in NDArrays
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:56:09 +0200

repmat and std in the octave CVS have both been converted to work with
NDArrays..... John, can we have a release?

D.

According to Jonathan Stickel <address@hidden> (on 08/25/04):
> I was going to suggest the use of nanstd in the latest octave-forge:
>

> octave:13> help nanstd
> nanstd is the user-defined function from the file
> /usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/statistics/nanstd.m
>
> v = nanstd(X [, opt [, dim]]);
> nanstd is identical to the std function except that NaN values are
> ignored.  If all values are NaN, the std is returned as NaN. If there
> is only a single non-NaN value, the std is returned as 0.
>
>         0:  normalizes with N-1 [default]
>                 provides the square root of best unbiased estimator of
> the variance
>         1:  normalizes with N,
>                 this provides the square root of the second moment
> around the mean
>
> See also: nanmin, nanmax, nansum, nanmedian, nanmean
>

> However, I get an error that repmat can only make 2D matrices.  Is there
> an update to repmat that will soon be available?
>
> Jonathan
>

> Hugo Neto wrote:
> >
> >Dear All,
> >
> >I'm facing another problem with the std (Standard Deviation) function.
> >Because i have a three dimensional array and i would like to do a std in
> >it along the 3º dimension.
> >
> >For instance in Matlab:
> >
> >realstate=std(state,0,3);        % std deviation along dimension 3
> >
> >This will store in realstate variable the standard deviation on the 3º
> >dimension
> >
> >In Octave i reach the following statement:
> >
> >"error: invalid conversion of NDArray to Matrix"
> >
> >I guess that this function is not yet implemented with NDArray option
> >in 2.1.57 Octave version. Do you know that?
> >
> >Any solution to surpass this problem?
> >
> >Thanks a lot,
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >H.Neto

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary