Re: std in NDArrays

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: std in NDArrays
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:27:51 -0700

I was going to suggest the use of nanstd in the latest octave-forge:

octave:13> help nanstd
nanstd is the user-defined function from the file
/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/statistics/nanstd.m

v = nanstd(X [, opt [, dim]]);
nanstd is identical to the std function except that NaN values are
ignored.  If all values are NaN, the std is returned as NaN. If there
is only a single non-NaN value, the std is returned as 0.

        0:  normalizes with N-1 [default]
provides the square root of best unbiased estimator of the variance
        1:  normalizes with N,
this provides the square root of the second moment around the mean

See also: nanmin, nanmax, nansum, nanmedian, nanmean

However, I get an error that repmat can only make 2D matrices. Is there an update to repmat that will soon be available?

Jonathan

Hugo Neto wrote:

Dear All,
I'm facing another problem with the std (Standard Deviation) function. Because i have a three dimensional array and i would like to do a std in it along the 3º dimension. For instance in Matlab: realstate=std(state,0,3); % std deviation along dimension 3 This will store in realstate variable the standard deviation on the 3º dimension In Octave i reach the following statement: "error: invalid conversion of NDArray to Matrix" I guess that this function is not yet implemented with NDArray option in 2.1.57 Octave version. Do you know that? Any solution to surpass this problem? Thanks a lot, Regards, H.Neto