Calculation of the PSNR

From: Jean-Michel besnard
Subject: Calculation of the PSNR
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 04:25:33 -0700

Hi,

I wish to calculate the PSNR of two images. In the literature the calculation
is defined as follows:

PSNR = 10 * log10( (max(max(p_image)))^2 ) / mean square error

although, some references say that if the image is coded in 8 bits, then the
maximum coefficient of the image matrix should automatically be 255.

I have images where the maximum coefficient is below 255 and wonder if I should
still be using 255 as the maximum or instead the actual maximum coefficient.

Cheers,

Jean-Michel