Electrical signal analisis

From: Jaime Alberto Silva
Subject: Electrical signal analisis
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:10:01 -0500

I'm new in the use of this tools (octave, mathlab, etc.) and since I'm a full time Linux user I am using octave.

Currently, I'm trying to do some electrical signal analysis and I will like to know if there are predefined functions for some calculations or how can I do them with octave:

1. Frecuency: I have founded in the "Signal Processing" section the fft function, OK it is great but how do I find the frecuencies from the returned vector. I know that using the max function I can find the fundamental frecuency like this:

# Create the signal:
octave:190> t= [0: 1/2000: 5 - 1/2000];
octave:191> sint= sin(2*pi*60*t);
# Transform the signal:
octave:192> ft= abs(fft(sint));
# Find the position of the max value of the transformation:
octave:193> [val, idx]= max(ft);
# Use the sampling rate to obtain the fundamental frecuency:
octave:194> fund_frec= 2000 * idx/ length(ft)
fund_frec = 60.200
octave:195>

But how can I find the other frecuencies in case it has more components like in
f= sin x + 0.5 sin 3x + 2 sin 10x ?

2. Phasors: If I have 2 signals like v1 an v2 how do I find the angle of v2 with respect of v1. I mean if v1= sin (t) and v2= sin (t + 15°) and I have sampled those signals in time, how do I find that v2 is delayed 15 degrees with respect to v1? taking in account that v2 samples where taken in different times to v1 samples like this: v1(1) was taken at T0, v2(1) was taken at T0 + dT. And, of course, you know the value of dT.

3. Electric Power: If I have sampled the signals of voltage (V) and current (I) are there any tools that l can use to obtain the active (P) and reactive (Q) power, the S vector angle, etc. ? I know that I can multiply the signals but, you know if there are tools for that why do it again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can bring me.

Jaime Alberto Silva Colorado