Re: autoconf check for octave version and mex.h?

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: autoconf check for octave version and mex.h?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:19:28 -0400

On Aug 11, 2004, at 8:22 PM, Dan McMahill wrote:

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:48:07PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 11-Aug-2004, Dan McMahill <address@hidden> wrote:

| Has anyone written an autoconf test that will figure out what version of
| octave is installed

I've been guilty of having autoconf check for versions myself, but it
is definitely not the autoconf way.  You really should be checking for
features instead.

how about a check then that says 'mex is from octave'
vs 'mex is from matlab'?  Clearly I can do AC_PATH_PROG(MEX, mex)
to locate a mex program, but I'm not sure how to figure out
what I've got after that.

Shall I rename mex to omex so there is no conflict?

The reason I wanted to look for a version is to be able to setup some
versioned install directories to make it easier to install a package against
multiple versions of octave.

By default octave-forge installs in an octave version specific
directory.

Version (not that you should need it):

        $ echo "disp(OCTAVE_VERSION)" | octave -qf
        2.1.55

m-file install paths (use localfcnfiledir):

        $ echo "disp(octave_config_info.localverfcnfiledir)" | octave -qf
        /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.55/site/m

        $ echo "disp(octave_config_info.localfcnfiledir)" | octave -qf
        /usr/local/share/octave/site/m

oct-file install paths (use localveroctfiledir):

        $ echo "disp(octave_config_info.localveroctfiledir)" | octave -qf
        /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.55/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0

        $ echo "disp(octave_config_info.localoctfiledir)" | octave -qf
        /usr/local/libexec/octave/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0

supporting binaries paths (use localarchlibdir):

        $ echo "disp(octave_config_info.localverarchlibdir)" | octave -qf
        /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.55/site/exec/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0

        $ echo "disp(octave_config_info.localarchlibdir)" | octave -qf
        /usr/local/libexec/octave/site/exec/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0

I put these notes on the wiki at

        http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?CategoryPackaging

Please add more detail there as you see fit.

- Paul