Re: Re: recursion and fsolve

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Re: recursion and fsolve
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:45:36 +0200

Daprès Paul THOMAS <address@hidden> (le 05/08/2004):
> Dear All,
>
> I have been testing gfortran, the fortran compiler for gcc3.5.  Unfortunately,
> gfortran and g95 forked about a year and a half ago and it is the former that
> is associated with gcc.
>
>  I have mainly been examining the fortran95 aspects but have also taken a
> look-see at what it does with fortran77.  I have only found one broken bit
> that
> affects octave - multiple entry points are not supported.  I rewrote the two
> subroutines in ranlib that contain ENTRY and compiled every last bit of
> fortran
> in octave.

If multiple entry points only occur in randlib my preference would be to
get the mersenne twister and zigurat code from octave-forge in to octave
and eliminate randlib entirely. Making changes to code in libcruft is a
bit problematic due to the fact that we might want to update versions
of teh code used. Therefore if the changes you make aren't fed back to
the original package maintainers and acceptted, we'll enter into a cycle
where we have to modify the code anytime the libcruft libraries are
updated.

> The object modules are OK; those that I have tested work fine.
> Unfortunately, the distribution between the libraries is such that an octave
> build fails with gcc-3.5.0 because of multiple definitions all over the
> place.
> --accept-multiple-definition allows the build to run to the end but octave
> then
> falls over in kpathsea, for some reason.  I suspect that the snapshot of g++ I
> downloaded has regressed some place.  I do not see any interest in
> investigating further for the present.

Ok.

> However, dynamically loaded functions can be written with gfortran
> functions and subroutines and they work fine.  I haven't tried a recursive
> function yet but will give it a try and will report back with the results.

This, I'd be interested in. If it works a test can be added to configure.in
to test if the fortran compiler supports recursion and we can enable it in
functions like quad and fsolve.

Of course that means we'd break the rule above about not modifying libcruft
code as ddaspk.f would probably need to have the line "SAVE LID, LENID, NONNEG"
eliminated somehow.

In any case I'm interested to hear your results..

Cheers
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary