Re: Invalid index error

From: Rich Shepard
Subject: Re: Invalid index error
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Geraint Paul Bevan wrote:

> Just to clarify slightly, the "for" command in Octave loops over each of
> the list elements (remember that [1:6] expands to [1 2 3 4 5 6]) so
> there is no need to increment the counter as you would in other
> languages such as C or Fortran.

Geraint,

  Thank you for the clarification. I didn't pick that up.

> I've always though the manual index was fairly comprehensive. Anyway,
> assuming that you are using info to view the manual (I think you said that
> you use emacs), you can get to the right spot by searching for "product" -
> it will take you to the "Sums and Products" node in the "Arithmetic"
> section.

  I didn't see _all_ the indices until just now.

> The function index is also a pretty useful place to search for relevant
> terms. Of course, familiarity with the manual helps, as does subscribing
> to this list.

  Now I've found it I'll be using it.

  I couldn't extract the values for each row in a for loop, so I did it
sequentially. It's expedient but I know there _is_ a way to set up the index
and loop to do it in a couple of lines of code. Later; when there's time.

  Your help has been extremely valuable and appreciated. Thank you.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)