Invalid index error

From: Rich Shepard
Subject: Invalid index error
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 14:52:09 -0700 (PDT)

  I've extracted a row from a matrix using
octave> a1 = foo(1,:)

  This row vector has 6 elements. Now I want the product of the elements so
I write:

octave:17> bar = a1(1)
bar = 1
octave:18> for i = 1:6
> bar = bar * a1 (i+1)
> endfor

  The result I get is numerically correct, but then there's the error
message:

bar = 144
error: invalid vector index = 7
error: evaluating binary operator *' near line 19, column 11
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 19, column 5
error: evaluating for command near line 18, column 1

  If I'm correctly reading the manual, defining the range of the for loop as
1:6 should end the loop with element 6. What syntactical error have I made?
(This is with 2.1.57).

Thanks,

Rich

--