error: `eig' undefined near line 5 column 7

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: error: `eig' undefined near line 5 column 7
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:49:02 -0400

On 30-Jul-2004, Rich Shepard <address@hidden> wrote:

| I downloaded 2.1.71 yesterday but haven't yet upgraded.

Do you have a machine for time travel?  If so, can you please tell me
what is in 2.1.71?  The latest thing I know about is 2.1.57.  :-)

|   I wrote a short shell script:
|
| #! /usr/bin/octave -pf
| # calculate eigenvector for Columbia Gateway scoping.
| A = ...

|   What have I missed?

You are passing the options -pf to Octave.  I don't think that is
doing what you think it should.  The -p option sets the initial value
of LOADPATH to the following argument, in this case "f".  If Octave is
only searching the directory named "f", then there are probably lots
of things that it won't be able to find.  Probably you wanted to use
the option -qf instead, which is the combination of the -q and -f
options, which says to be quiet and not read any user startup files.

jwe