Re: Problem with Symbolic package in octave-forge 2004.07.07

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Problem with Symbolic package in octave-forge 2004.07.07
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:59:33 -0400

On Jul 21, 2004, at 9:40 PM, grumpy steve wrote:

Shai
Good suggestions, and this might indeed be the problem, but I'm not
convinced. All of the components have been built with V3.3.1 of the gnu compiler set, and, although this doesn't rule out the possibility that some dependent libraries might have changed. What I have noticed is that some of the .oct files in the most recent octave-forge release did build correctly and appear to work, while some (most significantly and, for me, annoyingly, the symbols package) did not. I'm wondering whether it has anything to do with the fact that I'm using a cygwin environment rather than a native posix
one.  Has anyone succeeded in building the whole shooting match under
Cygwin, and, if so, were there any steps that needed to be taken, or
parameters that needed to be supplied in addition to the basic
configure-make-install cycle.  If all else fails, I'll just re-build
everything, but I expect it will end up taking days!

Or in my case, months, but I don't have much time to
spend on it ;-)

I've got a version of octave 2.1.57 on my machine
with symbolic, gsl, geometry, hdf5, fftw3, gnuplot 3.8k
and read/write png/jpg functions.

I put the libraries that I use on the octave-forge
download site.  They can be untarred into /usr/local,
or following my packaging for windows suggestions
on wiki.octave.org RFC1, in /opt/octave-2.1.xx.  Each
package contains doc/README.<package>,
lib/, include/ and possibly bin/ if it contains DLLs.

I'm still not ready for a new octave windows release
but this set of packages might make it easier for you
to build your own octave-forge.  Please let me know.

Warning: I haven't updated my cygwin distribution
in a couple of years, so things may seem out of
date.  This is by design---recent gcc versions for
cygwin have done something brutal to malloc functions,
really slowing down octave, and they haven't been
fixed yet.  The upshot of this is that ./configure on
my machine may have found compiler/library
features which are not available on your version
of cygwin, so my binary packages may not work for you.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden

Steve