How to use fir1 with 'scale'

From: Joe Koski
Subject: How to use fir1 with 'scale'
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:34:27 -0600

I'm trying to use the octave-forge routine fir1, and I want the filter
coefficients to sum to give me unity gain. What is the proper call to fir1
to do this?

  b = fir1(nfilt,0.01,'low','scale');

seems to work, but the the filtering on the dc part of the input is not
unity. When I try

  b = fir1(nfilt,0.01,'low','hamming','scale');

I get an fir2 error "window must be of length n+1"

Anybody got an idea? Thanks.

Joe Koski