Label pertaining to all subplots in multiplot

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Label pertaining to all subplots in multiplot
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:39:17 -0700

How can I identify a multiplot with a label that pertains to all subplots?
Perhaps I can call it a label for the canvas? I'd like to have final output
produced by octave/gnuplot and not take the pdf or eps file (save options in
AquaTerm on Mac) into another program (e.g. Adobe Illustrator).

For example, within the 1st of 4 subplots
subplot (2,2,1)
gset label 1 "A" at x,y
Will put the label "A" at location x,y of this subplot.
Similarly, I can add label B, C, and D to subplots
2,3, and 4 respectively.
Now I'd like to add a label, say "Figure 1" at the upper
left hand corner of the canvas for identification.
Henry