Re: Octave-Forge make failure under Red Hat 9

From: Julius Smith
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge make failure under Red Hat 9
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:29:23 -0700

At 11:14 AM 7/3/2004, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
Julius Smith wrote:
However, what I want to make sure all interested readers realize is that I immediately followed up that email, before anyone else had a chance to respond, reporting that I had determined that the problems WERE platform-dependent. Instead of accepting my restated second email, the

And a number of people point out to you that the problem was NOT "platform
dependent" but rather being with your particular hardware/software configuration.

Ok, then how about "configuration-dependent"? In the Linux world a "platform" is largely a "configuration", since they tend to draw on the same open-source tools.

I don't have a hardware problem. I was able to modify the software in two places to get it to work. I reported my changes to the SourceForge bug-report facility, and they were both addressed.

I am not used to configuration problems under Red Hat because the RPM system prevents it. If one defines the Red Hat platform to include RPM support, then I think one could still say "platform dependent". However, I am not familiar enough with the distribution mechanics of octave-forge to know if this is a feasible way to package the software for all supported platforms/environments/configurations.

jos