Re: Question about subsref in a new data type

From: jiaguo
Subject: Re: Question about subsref in a new data type
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:23:26 -0500

Thanks for your suggestions.

I found strange behavior when I test my subsasgn in octave.
Basically, if I run 'obj.field=1' in command line or put it
into a script file, it can correctly call my subsasgn.
However, if I put it into a function file, octave will treat
obj as a struct.

The way I did is in that function, I first initialize the
object, register the data type and operator and then call
'obj.field=1;', but then, obj becomes a struct. Please see
test.m for my experiments. I attached my ov-apple class for
reference. you can compile them using the Makefile.

In my implementation, I set is_map() true. However, when I
test the function file test.m, I traced the function calls in
'h.signature=100', and finally I found that in
oct-lvalue::assign(), it calls octave_value::assign(), and in
octave_value::assign(), it has such statements:

if (! error_state)
    {
      if (type[0] == '.' && ! is_map ())
        {
          octave_value tmp = Octave_map ();
          retval = tmp.subsasgn (type, idx, t_rhs);
        }
      else
        retval = subsasgn (type, idx, t_rhs);
    }

and when I test is_map() in gdb, it is false.

Can somebody tell me what will be different when we call from
a script or from a function? If there is a bug in octave,
where could it possibly be?

Thanks,
Jia