Re: does tk_octave work on XP?

From: jfl
Subject: Re: does tk_octave work on XP?
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:48:00 -0700 (PDT)

Progress Update on tk_octave:

I am first debugging on SuSE 9.1 since so far I get the same errors
as on XP.  It uses 2.1.55. though, instead of 2.1.57.

One problem is noted in the bugs list (but is not really a bug rather
a compatibility "feature") under the subject "global /exist".
This change apparently happened between 2.1.50 and 2.1.57.  Now,
instead of checking exist("globalvar"), one has to check isempty().

Another problem may have to do with the dynamic linking of the tk_start.oct
file.  I haven't made it far but on 2.1.40 I get this behavior:

     octave:1> which tk_cmd
     which: `tk_cmd' is undefined
     octave:2> which tk_start
     tk_start is the dynamically-linked function from the file
     /bla/bla/tk_start.oct
     octave:3> which tk_cmd
     tk_cmd is the dynamically-linked function from the file
     /bla/bla/tk_start.oct

On 2.1.55 I get this, not so good:

     octave:1> which tk_cmd
     which: `tk_cmd' is undefined
     octave:2> tk_start
     ans = tk_octave
     octave:3> which tk_cmd
     which: `tk_cmd' is undefined

I tried to split out the functions in tk_start.oct into separate oct
files to see if it matters on the new 2.6 kernel without success so far.
I think I am still making progress!