Re: Howto use Debian octave-forge package?

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Howto use Debian octave-forge package?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:17:31 -0500

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:01:39AM -0400, Geordie McBain wrote:
> I think the problem here is that the octave-forge functions are going
> into /usr/{lib,share}/octave/2.1.50 whereas the current Debian ("testing")
> octave version is 2.1.57.

Exactly --- as the version number is encoded in the path by octave itself,
you always need matching octave and octave-forge versions.  We try hard to
ensure this at the 'fresh' end of the distribution, i.e. in unstable. It is
harder to ensure in the 'matured' brand (i.e. in 'testing') because
octave-forge on Debian is built with just about all available external
libraries --- which results in a lot of external dependencies which
currently hold up the migration of octave-forge into testing.

So the upshot that you want to get the package from unstable. If you have
unstable entries in /etc/apt/sources.list, this would do it:

$ apt-get -t unstable octave-forge

Dirk
octave + octave-forge maintainer

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:48 am, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > just installed the Debian package "octave-forge" (Version: 2003.06.02-8)
> > because of the image processing functions. Although it has been installed
> > with "apt-get install octave-forge", no functions from this package are
> > available in octave.
> >
> > Does someone now what additional steps are necessary to use this
> > package?
> >
> > Moreover the Debain package seems to lack the documentation. Is the
> > HTML-doc available from a seperate site?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Christoph

FEATURE:  VW Beetle license plate in California