Re: no way for simple matrix lookup ?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: no way for simple matrix lookup ?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:08:16 -0500

D. Goel wrote:

Mike, that doesn't work, your recipe below is the first thing I tried.
Example, A = [1 3; 2 4]
b=c=[1 2].

The answer needed is [1 4], but both of your answers below give me [1
2 3 4].
Try this:
octave>d=A((b-1)*size(A,2)+c)
d =
    1     4

This is general enough to work for all 2-D arrays. You would have to
extend the concept for N-D arrays. There could be a function that I
don't know about that already does this. If there isn't, someone should
contribute one (I don't know what you'd call it).

regards,
Quentin