Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:18:11 -0500

Tom G. Smith (Smitty) wrote:

Oh, how I wish this had worked, because the installation was
sweet and simple.  As root, all I did was this:

        rpm -Uvh \
                octave-2.1.57-1.i386.rpm \
                octave-forge-2004.02.12-4.i386.rpm \
                vtk-4.5.0-1.cvs20040505.i386.rpm \
                hdf5-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm

but delaunayn is still missing:
You may notice that Jesper Friis's RPM packages do not include qhull, which is needed for delaunayn. The problem is that because the octave-forge package has interfaces for some external packages (GiNaC and qhull in particular). The configure script looks for these and excludes the parts that depend on them if they are not present. As a result, you can't assume that someone's prebuilt binaries necessarily include support for qhull or GiNaC. For example, I have made octave-forge RPMs available on the web before (www.ee.byu.edu/~qhs/octave), but I never bothered to include support for either of these because I didn't have a need for them in my own application. I have been working on a more complete octave-forge package for Fedora 2, but I haven't made any binaries publicly available yet. I have GiNaC working, but unfortunately I'm still running into problems with qhull.

This is a question to those out there who have built octave-forge with qhull: I have qhull installed on my system, but the configure script can't seem to find it. The headers are all in /usr/include/qhull, and the libs are in /usr/lib/, but the configure script gives the following output:
checking for qh_qhull in -lqhull... no

Ideas?

-Quentin