Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)

From: Tom G. Smith (Smitty)
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:32:35 -0500 (CDT)

Perhaps unfortunately, I'm running RH9, and just purchased
RedHat Enterprise Linux AS.  We have a bank of about 20 computers
running under Condor, all at RH9, and that's where we want to
use Octave.  We have a license for MATLAB, but it's only one
concurrent user; that doesn't help us much on the bank running
under Condor.  The researcher I'm working for does some image
processing in MATLAB, and he's hoping he can reduce his turnaround
by converting to Octave and using our bank of computers under Condor.

I get the impression from a number of responses that people think
I've somehow been messing with the source for octave-forge.  I assure
you, all I did was use the commands David Bateman sent me to get the
source for octave-forge, and only started changing things when the
make started failing:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/octave login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/octave co
octave-forge

I'd be happy to compile from source, if that would solve my problems,
but having someone say, for example, "I've just today compiled
CVS checkout of octave-forge on a CVS version of Octave and the
sequence ./autogen.sh; ./configure; make; make install; worked with
no problems what so ever."  I tried that, using the source from
the cvs commands above, and it does not work for me.  I got both
octave 2.1.57 and octave-forge to compile, with the indicated source
changes I've previously indicated, but then I got a "dispatch.oct is
not a valid shared library" message when immediately upon invoking
octave.  I found a message using Google that says I need to compile
shared library support in.  So I started over, using make distclean;
./configure --enable-dl --enable-shared; make; make install, and when
that finished, octave aborted with a segmentation fault immediately
upon invocation.  That's when I decided to try the RPMs, and at least
it runs now, though, as I said, the original problem with delaunayn
being missing still hasn't been solved.

I'm certainly receptive to suggestions, except I don't think changing
over our Linux distribution from RedHat to Debian is a viable suggestion.
If anyone who got octave and octave-forge to compile with no problems
could tell me exactly what source they used, and what commands, I'd
certainly be willing to give it a try.