Re: Octave on AIX5

From: Darwin Gosal
Subject: Re: Octave on AIX5
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 02:35:42 -0500

Hi there,
        I'm trying to compile GNU Octave on AIX5.2 (Power4 processor) and found
no success. I've tried the stable version (2.0.17) and the latest
version (2.1.57). On the "configure" I use gcc as my C compiler and g++
as my C++ compiler (there are provided by IBM Linux Toolkit for AIX). As
for fortran compiler, I use f77 (which link to xlf), the IBM Fortran
compiler. Please look at the "configure" files attached.

The configuration part goes smoothly. And when I do "make" (using the
GNU make), the first part works quite seamlessly, until it compile
lo-specfun.cc. When the compiler compile this file, I saw on the
resource monitor that it took almost 300MB before it stop. FYI, the
server have 8GB of RAM, and when I compile octave, 6GB are free.
See octave[version]-make for detail.

Memory Use  Physical    Virtual
% Used        30.9%       1.3%
% Free        69.1%      98.7%
MB Used     2535.4MB      6.8MB
MB Free     5656.6MB    505.2MB
Total(MB)   8191.9MB    512.0MB

Paging pages/sec  In     Out  VM parameters
 to Paging Space   0.0    0.0 numperm  16.3%
 to File System    0.0    0.0 minperm  18.7
Page Scans         0.0        maxperm  74.9%
Page Cycles        0.0        minfree 120
Page Reclaim       0.0        maxfree 128

Any idea what's wrong?

FYI,
gcc --version
2.9-aix51-020209