RE: downloaded octave from fink and can't start it

From: djanse1
Subject: RE: downloaded octave from fink and can't start it
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:29:12 -0500

Thats's what it was...
I ran into an IT friend of mine this morning on the train and he fixed it for
me.
He said the .profile had . /sw/bin/init.sh in it but didn't execute it when
X11 was started up.
He bypassed it by giving it a second start-up file attached that contains the
same information and
now it works fine.
A bit strange to me, but hey it works..so thanks for all your help.
Daniel

>===== Original Message From A S Hodel <address@hidden> =====
>It looks like /sw/bin is not in your path.  If you're using OS 10.1 or
>10.2, you should have a
>"source /sw/bin/init.csh" in your .cshrc , if using panther you should
>have
>       . /sw/bin/init.sh
>in your .profile
>

>On Jun 8, 2004, at 6:24 PM, djanse1 wrote:
>
>> When I type which octave i get
>> no octave in /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /Users/oecher3
>> /usr/X11R6/bin
>> but I know it is in there, just when I look at the folder from Finder
>> in OS X,
>
>Beware the definite article "the."  I assume that "the" folder is
>/sw/bin
>If indeed that's where you looked, then your PATH variable is almost
>certainly the problem.
>  Just in case, what happens when you type in
>       ls -l /sw/bin/octave*
>
>> the octave file appears as
>> an alias with 4K
>> There are a few more of that kind:
>> octave
>> octave-2.1.53
>> octave-bug
>> octave-bug-2.1.53
>> octave-config
>> octave-config-2.1.53
>> should those be Unix Executable files? If so how do get them to be as
>> such
>> recognized or download
>> them from somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>> Daniel
>>
>>> ===== Original Message From A S Hodel <address@hidden> =====
>>> What happens when you type in ``which octave?''
>>> Does /sw/bin/octave exist?
>>>
>>> On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, at 10:07 AM, djanse1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I just finished downloading and installing the octave package through
>>> fink on
>>> my iBook under
>>> Darwin. I had X11 pre-installed, but how do I get octave to work now?
>>> When I
>>> did this a year ago with
>>> my other iBook I could just go into X11 and type 'octave' and it
>>> would
>>> start.
>>> Do I have to prepare an
>>> access path? Any ideas? (The package downloaded 14 pieces
>>> successfully
>>> through
>>> the binary
>>> packages...)