Re: contour plots and other problems with gnuplot

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: contour plots and other problems with gnuplot
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 19:36:57 -0700

I believe there are a  number of problems when it comes to graphing in
octave via gnuplot because it's difficult to know what the defaults are and
how to change them.  I usually have to proceed by trial and error because I
cannot figure out what's going on (which may indeed not mean much). Often,
in order to get back to default graphs, I have to quit the terminal and
start from scratch.

When using a script with mesh plots and/or gsplot, it
uses default view  60 rot_x, 30 rot_z, 1 scale, 1 scale_z.
When now using a contour plot command at the octave prompt, the
view changes to 0 rot_x, 0 rot_z, 1 scale, 1 scale_z.
If the script with mesh and/or gsplots is tried again, all plots will be
contour plots because view is not changed back to default. This is actually
not a bad thing because it's much faster to produce a contour plot and a
contour plot may be more easily interpreted than a complicated 3-d graph.

Similarly and disconcerting, I've noticed the following changes when using
gset multiplot and then going back to a single plot:
(Note that "gshow all" produces about 3 pages worth of settings, most of
which I don't understand)

1) Hidden surface is removed (vs. drawn in default).
2) Aspect ratio is 1:1 (vs. not controlled in default).
3) Rectangular grid is drawn in x,y plane at x, y tics (vs. no grid in
default).
5) Changes in "set xrange" and "set yrange" but not sure what's going on.
4) Colors are red and green vs. red only in default but I haven't yet been
able to figure out what this is determined by in the gshow output.
Henry