Re: backward ODE solving

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: backward ODE solving
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:28:52 -0500

On 26-Apr-2004, Ben Diedrich <address@hidden> wrote:

| The ODE solver is called within a gradient optimization function that can
| see a wide variety of problems. The current configuration uses the timesteps
| selected by 'ode23' (either Matlab or octave-forge). If lsode could output
| the internally selected timesteps, the behavior would be the same. I'm not
| certain what impact pre-selected timesteps would have on the behavior of the
| algorithm for different problems. I can try it out, though.

OK.

The Fortran versions of both lsode and dassl/daspk will allow you to
request that they return intermediate output points.  Octave's
interfaces to these subroutines do not have this feature yet, but it
would probably be fairly easy to add.  If someone is interested in
working on this project, let me know.  I can give you some pointers
about where to start.

Thanks,

jwe