DEMOcontrol and gnuplot problems

From: paulcsouls
Subject: DEMOcontrol and gnuplot problems
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:24:26 -0700

I'm trying to learn to learn Octave and I'm running into problems. I'm using
Windows
2000 at work and Windows 95 at home. I'm using the Octave 2.1.50 version.

1. The DEMOcontrol program gives errors for the sys = sysupdate (sys,"ss")
command.

2. gnuplot doesn't run in Windows 95. I get the error "gnuplot.exe ran an
invalid
instruction".

3. gnuplot works in Windows 2000 but if I run "splot x -y"  in gnuplot I get a
plane. If
I run "gsplot x -y" in octave I get a line. What's the difference between
gsplot and
splot?

4. The book I bought is 2 years out of date. Was this a waste of money? Do I
need
to refer to the online manual if I have any real questions?

5. Is there a tutorial for using Octave somewhere? What is a good path for
figuring
this thing out?

Thanks
Paul