Problems with gnuplot 3.8k

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Problems with gnuplot 3.8k
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:24:28 -0700

After installing octave-2.1.55 and octave-forge from the HPC web site on my
Mac with OS X, I also installed gnuplot-3.8k.2, which I built from source.
Octave and octave-forge seem to be working correctly. Thanks Guarav.

The new gnuplot has "broken" all my multiframe plot sequences. This occurs
both under X11 and aquaterm, so the problem is definitely within the new
version of gnuplot, or at least within the octave-gnuplot interface. There
are two problems. First, the subplot command is often ignored, and I get a
full frame plot whether I want one or not. For example, my four frame plot
quickly flashes three full page frames followed by the full frame of the
last subplot that occurs just before a "pause." Sometimes it mixes full
frames and subplots. As was mentioned to me, there seems to be a bit of
voodoo involved in the programming to get things to work correctly. The
second problem is with multiple axes on a plot frame, sometimes with
multiple traces. Simple, full frame x-y plots seem to behave properly.

Per sent me an example that eliminated some "gnuplotisms" in my coding and
successfully fixed a relatively simple loop of three vertically spaced
frames. In trying to replicate his results with four vertical frames, I keep
running into the problems above, seemingly without logic.

The purpose of this posting is two-fold. First, can anyone confirm that this
is a general gnuplot-3.8k related problem? Is it also seen on Linux boxes?
Second, if you are considering the switch to gnuplot-3.8k, think twice.

To whom should I submit a bug report? Is it in the octave interface,
gnuplot, or both?

This means that I'm not quite ready to summarize an "easy" install route for
Octave on Macs on a wiki site. We're close though, I hope.

Joe Koski