Re: How do you plot dashed lines?

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: How do you plot dashed lines?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:05:12 -0700

Vic Norton wrote:
How do you plot dashed lines in octave? I'm using gnuplot. The MatLab format
   octave> plot(F(1, :), F(2, :), "--")
just produces a solid red line.
   octave> plot(F(1, :), F(2, :), "b--")
changes the line to blue, but it is still solid.

So how do you get dashes?

The short answer -- you cannot. The long answer is -- it depends on the terminal
that gnuplot is using. You can issue "test " command to gnuplot to see all
capabilities of the  terminal you are using. I can tell you that e.g. X11
terminal
does not have dashed lines and postscript does have. You would have to
investigate the others. Also if you are to use postscript terminal you
would have to use low-level plotting using "gset" etc...

One option would be using "fig" terminal and then edit the final picture
in xfig.

Regards,

Vic

Dmitri.