Re: Is there a convenient way to do parametric plots in octave?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Is there a convenient way to do parametric plots in octave?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:08:18 -0700

I have some time vs. frequency plots, with amplitude as a third variable.
Some converted scripts that originated in another brand of matrix software
do this. What the originators of the scripts did was to treat the third
variable (amplitude) as a color, and used imagesc to do the plots. In
looking at their scripts, they simply set up a matrix, say 600 x 400, and
scaled integer incremental values of time and frequency into the range,
while they treated amplitude as a color or gray scale value. In your
situation, it would be x vs. t, with, say, y as a color. In the other major
brand, there are external scales on the axes available to label the plot,
but octave doesn't currently have that feature.

This is at least one way of treating this type situation. I'm sure there are
others, e. g., least-squares fit a polynomial surface t = f(x,y) that then
permits contour or fringe plotting of the resulting surface. That works well
also, depending, of course, on the context of the data.

Anybody got any other favorites?

Joe Koski